Its actually a really sad truth that I'm hearing lately; so many of my friends, adults that were never talked to by their parents about sex. I'm hearing this more b/c I'm getting ready to talk with my little brother about sex.
I had a talk with my father about this need. To which he shared is lack of a conversation that his dad had with him, when he was 18 years old!!! My Grandpa took the "female" end of a extension cord and a "male" end and said "see this is how it works, any questions?". HAHA O Grandpa.
Growing up my mom talked about to me about sex and how my body worked and how it would change. So when things started to "happen " I was ready, and while still awkward, I knew my parents were there if I needed them. My dad even bought me tampons and pads when I needed them! GREAT Dad I have! I use to think that was normal of a Dad, to do those things for his daughter in need, I have since learned its not normal.
I decided that its not only "important" to talk to my little brother about sex and puberty so that he knows what's going on, but also so he knows how why God created him this way, and how he can honor God with his body and sexuality. Now I know that sentence might be bring back the only "conversations" that some of you heard about sex... along the lines of " don't get pregnant!" "sex is wrong", " you will make God angry if you have sex outside of marriage", and other shaming things parents say when they are afraid to talk about the topic. This is NOT the kind of talk I'm going to share with Trent. I'm not a 100% sure what I'm going to say but I know I will share with him HOW MUCH God loves him, and how he was created with a specific purpose , and how in the midst of his life God has trusted him with this gift that is from his wife, that when he is older he will see how it so beautifully reminds us of God's great love for us. BUT how it will be very hard for him to wait for that women that will be his wife, but even though its hard it doesn't mean he can't. I will compare it to the discipline of a karate master, who works very hard to reach the "black belt" ( I know REAL karate masters don't, just Americanized karate.. but Trent doesn't know that). How hard they must work and the intense discipline they must have! They must "control" their angry, their power, their knowledge of how much they can hurt someone if they wanted. But they know that while it was so hard to reach this status of a karate master it was not to just use whenever they wanted, it wasn't just to get attention or for other people to like them, it had greater purpose. I think the Karate kid might have a line or two that I will need to quote at this point.. haha I'll have to re-watch it. But my point will be the same- YOU CAN HAVE CONTROL over your choices!
Even today as I talked with this girls she said " Well you can't say that you'll never get into trouble, b/c sometimes things just happen." To which I responded "We are responsible for the choices we choose, no one forces us. " If we can't own up to the choses we make, whether right or wrong, we lose aspects of our integrity. We lose a bit of "control" over who we are and who we are becoming. We become "weak" b/c we can not say in strength and humility that we were wrong.... it takes more strength and self understanding to admit wrongs, then to blame others and "life" for our mistakes. When we own up, when we realize that we have the power to say YES or NO, then we can be individuals that are seeking "our true selves", we are in danger of becoming the people who God created us to be....
I think Jesus cares alot about sex, and who we are... and I think he wants us to share with others HOW much he loves and created them to be HUMANS, made in his image... with self control and the ability to own up to their mistakes... we are not animals, nor are we angels... we are living in the midst of tension.. we are humans so lets teach children to live up to it.... and stop blaming the world and everyone around us for our lack of self control and "animal" behavior....
1 comment:
alisa i miss your funny analogies in the middle of series conversations, and your frankness and willingness to not tip-toe around topics that can be at the forefront of a teenage mind. LOVE you and miss you!
Post a Comment